ABLED

This blog is about reconciling the two worlds of disability understanding. On one side are the strong voices of activists in the disability community. On the other is the well meaning but naïve/ ignorant able bodied population who see disability as something pitiable. As an able bodied person who has realized the very compelling and interesting arguments about society and life coming from the disability community, I am compelled to referee the exchanges between the two sides. Often times it seems that everyone is speaking so loudly and with such great conviction that the other doesn't even listen. Since I am not personally motivated by either side, I can weigh both sides of the arguments and hopefully facilitate an open and accepting space for both sides to express themselves and learn about each other. Please join the discussion!

Friday, July 13, 2007

Us vs Them

Hello and welcome to my blog! This is my first post so I'll make it controversial. I want to know how these thoughts resonate with the disability community.

There has been a lot of blogging about the Disability Blog Carnival #18 and I wanted to offer another perspective. The emphasis in this post is:
The Disabled! We’re just like YOU!!!!
.
I couldn't agree more with the sentiment, but to rain on the carnival a little (do carnivals have parades?) I thought I'd mention that the way to really convince able bodied people that "We're just like you" is to stop emphasizing the two sides "we" and "you" because it by definition defines you as something different. This is an ideal of course, because the world certainly does need some help in understanding the lives of peoples with disabilities. So where should the line be between separating out the disability community as different for the sake of advocacy and integrating them into the rest of society to create the very thing they're advocating for? I think that the Disability Blog Carnival is ridding on the right side of the fence but what do you think?

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites Who links to me?