ABLED

This blog is about reconciling the two worlds of disability understanding. On one side are the strong voices of activists in the disability community. On the other is the well meaning but naïve/ ignorant able bodied population who see disability as something pitiable. As an able bodied person who has realized the very compelling and interesting arguments about society and life coming from the disability community, I am compelled to referee the exchanges between the two sides. Often times it seems that everyone is speaking so loudly and with such great conviction that the other doesn't even listen. Since I am not personally motivated by either side, I can weigh both sides of the arguments and hopefully facilitate an open and accepting space for both sides to express themselves and learn about each other. Please join the discussion!

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Standing up for difference

This heartfelt defense of gay marriage speaks to the desire for justice and equality that is also present in the disability community. As a gay man who has found a life long partner, I couldn't resist using this forum to share this touching testament.

"I just couldn't bring myself to tell an entire group of people in our community they are less important, less worthy, or less deserving of the rights and responsibilities of marriage than anyone else, simply because of their sexual orientation."

In the end, when I speak about disabilities on this blog, I speak about difference. The reason I feel somewhat justified in publishing my thoughts is because I think I understand difference because I am gay and because I want to understand members of the disability community. I think that once you have crossed the line into being a minority or a member of a marginalized group, you have a fair understanding of part of what other marginalized people feel.

Thank you Mayor Sanders for your courage to search and speak your heart.

4 comments:

cripchick said...

i LOVED this, it's hard to find people who are willing to do the right thing these days.

love your blog and wish i had only found it sooner!

Shonda said...

This was really touching.

It's always refreshing to see (1) a man that can openly express his feelings in a society that often discourages men from doing so for fear of appearing weak or effeminate, and (2) a politician that is actually doing his job by serving his constituents.

Laura said...

Great post, Will. Nothing like starting my Tuesday morning teary-eyed. It's nice to remember that not all politicians enter politics simply for power, but because they are actually committed to making a better society.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Who links to me?